Functions and Responsibilities
Governing Council shall have powers to function subject to the existing provision in the bye-laws of Vignana Jyothi and rules lay down by the state government/ affiliated university. The following are the functions of Governing Council:
- Evolves the Vision, Mission and Objectives of the College and ensures that they are achieved
- Ensures Total Academic and Administrative Autonomies for achieving Short Term and Long Term objectives of the Institute.
- Governing Council makes all policy decisions ( Autonomous Institute Policy, Quality Policy, HR Policy, Admission Policy, Administration Policy, Finance Manual, Alumni Manual, IT Policy, Globalisation Policy, Innovation & Incubation Policy and Patent Policy etc.) regarding courses to be offered, recruitment of staff, service conditions of teaching and non-teaching staff, conduct of staff and student’s academic and non- academic activities, also it ensures that they are periodically updated
- Approves the curriculum as recommended by the Academic Council.
- Approves new programmes of study leading to degree.
- Approves scholarships, fellowships, studentships, medals, prizes and certificates on the recommendations of the Academic Council. And ensures the adequacy of financial resources for asset management
- All matters concerning the Academic and Finance Committees are thoroughly discussed and their recommendations/ comments are communicated to the concerned.
- It administers the physical resources of the Institute.
- Reviews the performance of the Institute and guide to function effectively to Achieve Excellence in Academics, Research and Industry collaborations.
- Ensures the Regulatory Compliance of all the decisions by the concerned Authorities like the Principal, HoD and other Officers of the Institute in all matters of fundamental concern.
- Ratifies and resolves the minutes of Academic Council, Board of Studies, Finance Committee and IQAC
- Reviews to apply Accreditations of different regulatory bodies (NBA, NAAC, UGC and ABET etc.)
- Monitors on the effective functioning of different non statutory committees of the college
- Encourages and gives directions to apply for funds from different funding agencies
|S.No.||Members (as per UGC Norms)||Members Nominated|
|1||Chairperson||Thiru Jansons T.S. Natarajan
President, Sengunthar Charitable Trust
|2||Management Member||Prof. A. Baladhandapani
Secretary and Correspondent, Sengunthar Charitable Trust
|3||Management Member||Mr. M.K. Dhanasekaran
Treasurer, Sengunthar Charitable Trust
|4||Management Member||Mr. T. Shanmugasundaram
Joint Secretary, Sengunthar Charitable Trust
|5||Management Member||Er. A.B. Madhan
|6||Management Member||Mr. Aravind Thirunavukkarasu
Director, Corporate Relations and Training
Prof. M. R. Bhagwan Singh
Professor of Mech. Engg. (Retd.)
B.M.S College of Engineering
Bull Temple Road, Basavangudi, Benguluru
|8||State Government Nominee||Prof. M. Deepak Kumar
Assistant Professor, Department of Metallurgical Engineering
Government College of Engineering, Salem
|9||University Nominee||Dr. S. Kalaiselvam
Professor, Department of Applied Science and Technology
AC Tech Campus, Anna University, Chennai
|10||Industrialist||Dr. R. Venkatesan
Group Head & Scientist G, Ocean Observation Systems
National Institute of Ocean Technology, Chennai
|11||Academician||Dr. M. Umapathy
Professor, Department of Instrumentation and Control Engineering
National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli
|12||Teachers of the College||Dr. K.L. Palanisamy
Dean (Student Affairs) cum Professor and Head
Department of Science and Humanities
|13||Teachers of the College||Dr. B. Sujatha
Dean (Academics) & Professor
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
|14||Principal of the College(Ex – Officio)||Dr. C. Venkatesh
Sengunthar Engineering College